Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Along came Pipsqueak

My Sid
 Back in January I lost my cat Sid. He would have been 19 in April.  When I got him he was six weeks old and fit in the palm of my hand. He grew to a whopping 25 pounds in his prime, all muscle by the way, and approximately 26 inches in length not including his tail.

He was a formidable cat no doubt. He was with me during my single days when it seemed that the weight of the world was always coming down on me. I worked two and three jobs so I could have a roof over my head and put myself through school. He was always there waiting for me at the door when I came home.
  Later when I got married he was there with me even though my husband was not to fond of him. Tony later grew to like him even though they were always competing for my attention. There was that birthday party incident though that almost ended in Sid's demise, he had to go stay at my brothers for a few months. Each time I came home from the hospital with each of my three children he was waiting for me at the door.
He was always waiting for me at the door, for me to wake up, for me to get out of the shower, etc. In a way he was my first child. I was there with him when he went. Even though it broke my heart I wouldn't of had it any other way.
Since then Gianna and Tia have been begging us to get a kitten. I was able to put it off for a while by telling them we had to wait to move. That didn't happen so the begging began again. You see back in June when we had all that rain my sister-in-laws neighbor found a bunch of kittens who were drowning in a puddle. Their eyes weren't even open and they had their umbilical cords still. There was one who almost died on more than one occasion. They called her monkey.
When the girls went over there they would take care of Monkey and bottle feed her when no one else could get her to eat. They were good with her and were determined to see her live.  They did a great job.  Last week Monkey turned 8 weeks old and needed to find a permanent home. That is when the pleading really began. We broke, even though I don't think I am ready yet. She is so cute though.
Pipsqueak
They changed her name to Pipsqueak because she is so tiny. She was the runt of the litter. They are taking good care of her and holding up to their end. This is going to be their memories of loving an animal that they helped to save. They will be good ones. She is growing on me, and of course I will love her too.



No comments:

Post a Comment