Monday, August 15, 2011

Dyeing fabric with Dylon


 I discovered Dylon fabric dye about six months ago. My favorite pair of jeans were pretty faded and I wanted to get a little more life out of them. Having never dyed anything before I wanted to be able to do it in the machine, my problem was that my machine is a front loader. I couldn't find anything in the stores for that.

Doing a search, I came across Dylon fabric dye. Dylon is sold on various internet sites for the front load washing machines. It worked like a charm. Since then, I have ventured into doing it by hand. I am able to get these little packs at my local JoAnn Fabrics store.

In order to dye about 1/2lb of fabric, you will need one 1.75oz packet of dye. Next you will need warm water, a measuring cup, 4Tbs salt, rubber gloves, a large bowl or stainless steel sink large enough for the fabric to move freely and something to stir the fabric with.

1. First, dissolve the dye in 4 cups of warm water. Keep stirring until completely dissolved.






2. Add 4 tablespoons of table salt and enough warm water to submerge fabric and for it to be able to move freely while stirring.

stir fabric well

3. Add your fabric and stir continuously for 15 minutes. Continue to let it soak for 45 minutes while stirring every 5-10 minutes.



rinse with cold water

4. Rinse under cold water until water is nearly clear. Wash fabric in warm water and allow to dry away from direct heat or sunlight.




ocean blue
5. Enjoy your newly revived clothing. This color reminds me of the ocean waters in Maui. Now if I could only replicate the smell of all those flowers!





 

No comments:

Post a Comment