Thursday, August 4, 2011

In the Garden

cabbage
This year I only planted a few items. I was hoping to move and didn't want to waste my time or money. I put in some cabbage, basil and sugar snap peas. Somehow I also got a potato plant and tomatoes, they must have lingered over from last summer. I almost lost the basil plant to a soccer ball and the snap peas just can't take this years heat. Over all though everything seems to be coming along fine.A few years ago I put in some oregano and purple coneflower. Both of these have spread out quite a bit. Unfortunately for the oregano Vincent is able to tromp through it due to its location. It is a hardy plant though so it should do fine next year.
purple coneflower
oregano in bloom
 









I can't wait for some ripe tomatoes. It isn't summer without making bruschetta and now that I know how to make my own crusty bread it will be all the better. Also, as soon as I get a couple of cabbages that are big enough I will be making some Serbian cabbage rolls. I learned how to make this from my friend Lilly this past winter. Watch for the recipe.

Basil
green tomatoes

No comments:

Post a Comment