Thursday, October 13, 2011

Homemade chicken stock

     I ordered this book Making It Radical Home Ec for a Post-Consumer World by Kelly Coyne & Erik Knutzen a few weeks back off of Amazon. I am thrilled to add it to my collection of how to books as it is filled with a ton of useful information. One of the things in there is how to make chicken stock and I have to say I was previously clueless to this. I always make whole chickens in the crock-pot but thought the leftover juice was just to fatty to keep. While I still have to try their recipe I am now making my own stock for soups and stews my own way.

First I wash and clean out the cavity of the chicken and pat it dry with a couple of paper towels. Here I put it into my 4 quart crock-pot with some onions and carrots that I had on hand. I sprinkle it with a poultry season blend and pour in about 1 cup of water. Cover and let it cook for 6-8 hours on medium until it is cooked through.

 After my bird is cooked all the way I pull it out and set it aside to cool. I will remove the skin and shred the meat to use in soup, stews or casseroles. I usually get at least three meals from this one roaster chicken.

I put the bones into a stock pot with about six cups of water and add anymore celery or carrots that I have left to it. I will simmer it for about 30-45 minutes and  strain out all the bones. This broth is used to make my dogs their soup with. I can add some cooked veggies to it later. They love it over their dry kibble. I refuse to by any canned garbage for them.

Now I pour all of the juice that is left in my crock-pot through a mess strainer to remove all the cooked veggies, fatty pieces and any bones that may have fallen off. Gross I know.




I put my bowl into the fridge over night so all the fat can rise to the top. In the morning you can easily scrape the fat off with a spoon.
Underneath the fat is your stock. It will be a thick gelatin and your spoon will stand up straight in it. This is what I thought was fat also. This stock is filled with vitamins and minerals that are easily digested and so good for you. I divide this up into about 1.5 cup freezer containers and will later add it to my soups. I add my flavors later because I make several different soups and I don't want the flavors of them to be changed by my stock. Now I know!

No comments:

Post a Comment